Multiemployer plans are complex employees benefit plans governed by the Internal Revenue Code, ERISA and the Labor Management Relations Act (Taft-Hartley). Dealing with such plans generally requires help from professionals with experience in dealing with labor unions and multiemployer plan trustees.
The team at Beckemeier LeMoine Law offers years of experience in representing employers in managing multiemployer pension and welfare contribution and liability issues and in their role as trustees of multiemployer plans.
This, together with our well-developed legal skills and general insight into employee benefit plans and union relations means that we can support and assist employers in a range of related issues.
We represent employers who contribute to multiemployer benefit plans and have a strong understanding of the complexities involved in collective bargaining and the requirements of Taft-Hartley, which is essential to the employer’s relationship with these plans.
Our multiemployer plan services for employers
The team at Beckemeier LeMoine Law works closely with employers in matters concerning multiemployer plans, including:
- Advising on withdrawal liability rights and obligations
- Offering strategic advice and negotiation to minimize the impact of liability
- Assistance in the request for review (appeal) of withdrawal liability assessments and arbitration if the multiemployer plan refuses to revise the withdrawal liability on review
- Assistance with payroll and compliance audits, advocating before the multiemployer Board of Trustees, and defending the employer in court (if necessary)
- Full-scope compliance with ERISA, HIPAA, COBRA, and Taft-Hartley
- Communicating with regulatory agencies such as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
and the Department of Labor (DOL)
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreement, contribution agreements, project labor agreements and one-job-only agreements
- Assessing the tax consequences of plan contributions and withdrawal and limiting the impact of these
Our attorneys can also assist employers in analyzing and addressing multiemployer plan issues during mergers, acquisitions and other corporate transactions.
Representation in Taft-Hartley benefit plan issues
Our multiemployer plan attorneys can represent you in matters concerning Taft-Hartley benefit plan issues.
A contributing employer can face significant liability (withdrawal liability). This liability may extend beyond the contributing employer to other members of the contributing employers controlled group, even if such businesses are unincorporated or otherwise unrelated to the operations of the contributing employer. Our attorneys can support you and help avoid many of the common pitfalls in multiemployer plan relations.
The success of our attorneys with representation in multiemployer and Taft-Hartley matters is underpinned by the experience we have had in dealing with the unique issues that arise with these plans.
We work with HR professionals, C-suite executives, and business owners so that they can make informed decisions on all matters concerning multiemployer benefit plans.
At Beckemeier LeMoine Law, we have a rich history of experience helping employers solve their legal problems. If you need legal assistance, contact us online or call us at 314-965-2277.